Facebook is Dead, Long Live Facebook
Social media has become an indispensable tool for hotels to stay in touch with their customers and potential guests. Hotels can share information about their facilities, services, and events with a much larger audience than ever before. The hotel’s social media channels are also valuable tools for generating leads by engaging with prospective guests who are interested in the hotel but not yet ready to book. With all these benefits of social media marketing, it is clear that every hotel must take advantage of the opportunities!
Prior to the Covid Pandemic, the general feeling was that organic Facebook posting was no longer effective and was being overtaken by Instagram and others. Facebook remained effective for paid advertising, but organic (free) posts just didn’t really have much traction. Fast forward to today and Facebook is indispensable and remains a valuable marketing asset for hotels to leverage and a great way to stay engaged while many consumers have yet to restart their travel journeys.
“Facebook usage among broader demographics has come back with a vengeance and along with its sister platform Instagram, their combined reach is in the billions,” stated
DJ Vallauri, Founder & CEO of Lodging Interactive which operates CoMMingle, the premier guest review response and social media marketing service for the hospitality industry. “And social media posts today should include content that not only inspires the travel dreamers but also informs future guests as it relates to property safety and cleanliness protocols, people want to feel safe, #TacoTuesday needs to take a back seat for now.”
Top 5 tips for Hotel Social Media Marketing and Engagement in 2021
- Make Social Media a Priority and Know Your Purpose: It’s no longer an option for hotels to have a social media presence. Guests expect it and demand, at the very least, Facebook and Instagram posts from their favorite hotels. Create a property ‘social media ambassador’ whose role is to plan, source images, schedule, post, and engage with consumers 7 days a week.
- Diversify Your Social Media Messaging: Consider posting content created by others. Content created by local micro-influencers who know the destination best is always a winner. Also, search for user-generated content (UGC) and always obtain permission for content use. You should consider creating posts that make guests feel safe and leave out the word “Covid”.
- Leverage Content Formats: If it’s not always easy to produce unique Stories on Facebook and Instagram and at the very least repurpose your static posts into Stories on both platforms. Data has shown that many consumers prefer to view Stories than to scroll through their feeds.
- Partner with Local Businesses that Add Value to Your Guests: Maybe it’s a local zoo or aquarium, or maybe it’s a unique dining experience nearby. Agree to mutually cross-post on each other’s Facebook and Instagram accounts. Remember, it’s about sharing the excitement of a local experience and ‘tieing’ your property to it.
- Embrace the Power of Messenger: With 1.3 billion people using Facebook’s Messenger service to communicate with friends, family, and businesses, your property should be ready to offer a ‘one-on-one’ direct messaging service via Messenger. Be available on Messenger and be helpful to your customers when they need you, 24/7/365. Think about how you felt, in the old days, when you received a response to your tweet from a brand. You felt an immediate connection and loyalty to that brand.
For more information on how CoMMingle can assist your property with its social media marketing and engagement, please visit CoMMingleEngage.com or call us at 877-291-4411 ext 704.
About Lodging Interactive
Since 2001 Lodging Interactive has been a leading provider of digital marketing services to the hospitality industry.
The Company is an HSMAI Adrian Award winner and has won awards from the International Academy of Visual Arts, Interactive Media Awards, Horizon Interactive Awards, Web Marketing Association, Academy of Interactive & Visual Arts, and Travel Weekly’s Magellan Awards have recognized Lodging Interactive as an industry leader.
Lodging Interactive customers include over 65 hotel management companies and nearly 700 hospitality properties worldwide. Properties include luxury independent hotels and resorts as well as branded properties from nearly every major brand.
Lodging Interactive is the parent company of CoMMingle:Engage, the Company’s social media marketing, and reputation management division which serves hundreds of hotels, restaurants, spas, and management companies.
In 2020, the Company developed the hospitality industry’s first Facebook Messenger-based SMERF Lead Sales System, RFPAssist, designed to drive hotel group and event business.
Additionally, the Company provides subscription-based website development and digital marketing services through its HotelSiteXPRESS offering. The subscription-based service is based on a ‘pay-as-you-go’ model and requires no capital investment on the part of the hotel.
Lodging Interactive’s corporate office is located nearby New York City, in Parsippany, NJ and it maintains satellite offices in Sydney, Australia, and London, England.
The Company’s mailing address is Lodging Interactive, 900 Lanidex Plaza, Suite 242, Parsippany, NY 07054, USA.